The Great Shasta Rail Trail Association is working to develop 80 miles of rail-trail between McCloud and Burney. The goals of this project are:
* Provide year around recreation opportunities for hikers, bicyclists, equestrians, skiers, and other non-motorized uses
* Promote awareness, appreciation, and protection of natural, scenic, cultural, and historic resources and promote community involvement in their protection and care
* Incorporate trail designs that mimic the natural, historic, and cultural environment along the trail and promote local stewardship
* Feature a well-maintained primary trail within the railroad right-of-way
* Incorporate safe and easy access from local communities and connections to nearby major recreation areas on adjacent public land
* Promote healthy lifestyles through exercise, interpretation and education, and trail stewardship activities
* Stimulate local recreation that can boost economic opportunities linked to the uniqueness of the area - its environment, culture, heritage, people, and history.