The Great Shasta Rail Trail will link the towns of McCloud and Burney and nearby recreation areas along an 80-mile scenic trail featuring local heritage and culture, close connections to nature, and boosting the economic and social vitality of local communities.
The Great Shasta Rail Trail Association is working to develop 80 miles of rail-trail between McCloud and Burney. The goals of this project are:
- Provide year around recreation opportunities for hikers, bicyclists, equestrians, skiers, and other non-motorized uses
- Promote awareness, appreciation, and protection of natural, scenic, cultural, and historic resources and promote community involvement in their protection and care
- Incorporate trail designs that mimic the natural, historic, and cultural environment along the trail and promote local stewardship
- Feature a well-maintained primary trail within the railroad right-of-way
- Incorporate safe and easy access from local communities and connections to nearby major recreation areas on adjacent public land
- Promote healthy lifestyles through exercise, interpretation and education, and trail stewardship activities
- Stimulate local recreation that can boost economic opportunities linked to the uniqueness of the area - its environment, culture, heritage, people, and history.